AUF WEIDERSEIN, ADIEU, GOOD BYE

It was August 07, 2007. I was fuming over the Fulbright Teacher Exchange Program. I was not able to understand whether the program is to make the people get together to be acquainted with or to break up them before they know each other. I met a person just six days ago. We didn’t move around to match our steps. We didn’t sit together to match our vision. Together, we didn’t met people to mix our body language. And all of a sudden it (the program) says to bid adieu, make auf weidersein and say good bye. We didn’t know whether we meet again in future. We were consoling ourselves that the world is small and we meet again (of course later both of us found that the world is too BIG and still confident to meet again).

The person is none other than Mr Patrick J Kaplo. First time when I got an email from Patrick, I was flying with joy that the exchange is taking place and I had been given a chance, by Fulbright, to experience the America. We spoke over phone several times and discussed issues related to our exchange, our education systems, our living standards, etc. We exchanged oodles of information through e-mails. We were in touch, though remote.

We cemented our friendship and promised to continue this for life. Patrick was generous enough to offer his home for my stay in America during this program. He planned everything for smooth running of my exchange with him. (His parents, Staff of Campbell High School, people around and students are more openhanded than he was expecting.) It is magnificent to have exchange with him. I wished them good luck and happy times with India (they have to board flight on the same day from Boston to go to India). I bid adieu with a big hug, good bye to Jessie and kids. We were going to miss each other. I tried to keep the tears from my eyes, waving hands from the car window, while going to airport, to my brother’s place, New Jersey.

AUF WEIDERSEIN!!!

No comments: