CAMPBELL HIGH SCHOOL

That was Monday, Aug 06, 2007. I was feeling some excitement in me, as I got up in the morning. It wasn't due to excited trip to Boston, last day It wasn't due to seeing the Baseball game between Patrick and Evan in his living room with some commentary added to their play. Soon I found it is due to first time visit to MY school, Campbell High School, where I am going to work for FOUR months. Patrick and me took some oat meal with milk for our breakfast and got ourselves ready to GO.

First we went to DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) Office in Manchester and got MY CAR's Licence Plates. Patrick bought a Volks Wagon Jetta for me to commute to School daily. There is no Public Transportation in that route. The papers were made very much ready by Patrick before I arrive in US, so we didn't spend much time in DMV office. The License plates are for me, not for my car. No permanent number for a car. For the same vehicle, different owners have different number plates (Its different from Indian system - Surprising??!! - me too).

Then we went to 2, Wall Street, Manchester, NH. Patrick told me how to park a car and display the parking ticket in the car, so that we won't get parking ticket (in the form of PENALTY) from Police Officer. We had seen BOOTING the CAR (If you don't pay the Parking Penalty then your car will be BOOTed by Police, whenever they find it on the parking lot. You can't move your car until the heavy penalty is paid). On 2, Wall Street we were waiting till the Social Security Office gets OPEN. We applied for my SSN (Social Security Number - Very important in USA) in no time. We were very happy that the scheduled works were getting completed very quickly and on time. We were not knowing that we made a mistake, by applying for my SSN (During our Orientation Program in DC it had been informed to us not to apply before Aug 16, but we did. What happened? - wait for that info).

Our Toyota Corolla (Patrick's Car) had moved towards Litchfield. Within 30 minutes we were in Campbell High School. On the way, Patrick was reminding me not to drive like the way he drove on the roads. He stamped himself as Fast Driver (I was happy that he was not a RASH driver!!). He had shown me how to use electronic key to open the doors of the school (Surprising!! - Lots of security - you might be remembering the incidences happened in the past in American Schools).

Patrick was greeting people on the way to Physics Department, introducing me to them. They were asking SOME thing , which I couldn't follow. I was looking at Patrick's face and he was looking at my face (with his hands on his chin) for the answer. Then I understood that I was not concentrating on their conversation, and they were asking ME!. With a blurry smile I could ask Patrick "What is that?". Then he asked me again, which I could answer. Immediately I decided to concentrate on the things happening around me (But how is it possible when the things are happening so quickly? It was an embarrassing time for me). Even though you are very good at English, it is difficult to follow the American Accent (they have different dialects at different locations of USA).

We met The Human resource Officer - Deb Mahony, School District Superintendent - Cathy Hamblett, New Principal - Robert C Manseau and Assistant Principal - Laura Rothhaus of the School, some of the Office staff, Maintenance staff, few teachers, on the way to Physics Lab/Class room. Bob the Principal, handed over a welcome gift, on behalf of the Office, CHS. It was a big surprise. The welcome gift consists of a bamboo basket with 'McLure's pure Maple Syrup and some Direction Maps, along with a BIG Fruit Basket.

Patrick explained me the strategy he adopts while teaching physics, the way he explains some of the Physics concepts and the precautions I have to take care of while teaching. To be sincere, I was not listening him with concentration, I was just amazed of the technology they use in the classroom and bring the physics closer to children. I was amazed with the practicality of Patrick, bringing everything in to the classroom to make it more interesting. I felt my self proud of Patrick and Fulbright Commission for giving me this opportunity. My mind was just flying high to make most possible from this classroom (I was not knowing that how difficult it is, unless start making use of them in real-time classroom situation).

After spending about two hours we were feeling hungry. We went to nearby food stall, bought some food and took our lunch in Staff Room along with few staff members (Of course the same embarrassing situation, in following them). Later, some more time we spent in Lab/Classroom and started moving towards Home. I was happy to relax, after hectic day.

But without stopping at home, Patrick took me directly to Bank of America, to open Regular Checking Bank Account on my Name. The Bank Person is Mr Ravinder, an Indian from Chandigarh. We got no problem in opening an account. He was generous enough to provide a temporary ATM/DEBIT card with few check leaves. Both of us were very happy that all the works were completed in ONE day and we can relax tomorrow and pack-up for the LONG TOUR.

IT WAS A LONG DAY (of course it is the long post).

No comments: