ON SKY STREETS

"Hellooww -- welcome" greeted the Lufthansa air-hostess and shown me the way to go in. Another hostess looked into my seat number and told me (in German accent) where can I find it. I kept my hand luggage in the cabin and checked my passport, VISA, immigration check, DS-2019 form, tickets, etc. in my BIG leather purse (which can fit in my blazer pocket) and settled in my seat. Even though I fly through domestic planes, there was an excitement in International airplane. Without any jerks, twists and turns the plane took-off and my journey had started smoothly. Looking out through the window, saying bye-bye, in mind, to the sleeping Hyderabad city , slowly leaned back on my seat.

After more than nine hours of flight at a maximum speed of 1000 km/h, on maximum height of 12,000 meters, the plane comes to rest in Frankfurt International Airport. The minimum outside temperature, while flight, was negative 72 degree Fahrenheit. Since there was a gap of more than four hours for my next journey and lost my colleague Mrs Fatima in transit from plane to airport, I moved around the big and beautiful airport and gone through the variety of shops. There were some light moments when I found Mrs Fatima along with other Fulbright Teachers, Mr Sasi Raj, Mrs Ranjini, Mrs Anubha and Mrs Sheela, from India.

It was wonderful to observe Jews offering prayers in airport lobby while giving some rest to my tired legs and giving some food to my hungry tummy. One hour before the scheduled time we had started our second phase of journey from Frankfurt to Washington DC. After eight hours of tiresome flight we landed on to the Great Land of USA in Dulles International Airport, Washington DC. The laziness had flown out by passing through long line and the Homeland Security - Customs Check. The tired body got rejuvenated by seeing Fulbright volunteers outside the airport. The Fulbright Teacher Exchange Program - 2007 had started officially, when I checked-in to the room number 426, Crowne Plaza, Old town, Alexandria, on Monday July 30, 2007.

No comments: