MY EXPERIMENTS WITH FOOD

Mr Joe Kaplo received me from Manchester Airport on August 23 evening and dropped me at Patrick’s home. I was just sitting in the couch and looking at the house. I was completely in dilemma to start with. I was not in a mood to start any thing. I was getting bored of the loneliness. (I like loneliness, but not this kinda (kind of)). I love to be alone but in the group (interesting character!!??!!). I had boxed food from my brother’s home, sufficient for two days. I slept without thinking any thing more for that night, after speaking with my wife and children, online.

The next day morning, (Friday, Aug 24) Mr Joe Kaplo came again to pick me up to go to Liberty Mutual, the car insurance office. Since my brother already made the base and the documents were readymade by Patrick, it was a cake-walk for me. I was happy that I can drive a car all by myself, in USA. Saturday, I dared to take out my car on to the roads of Manchester. Initially I was finding it bit difficult, but got quickly used to the slow traffic, sign boards, flow of traffic, white and yellow lines on the roads, traffic symbols, etc. I was patting my back that I was driving perfectly. It was a great day.
I was not feeling hungry since my heart was filled with joy. I thanked once again everyone, who made it possible for me. But body can’t wait for more time without food, I got to go ‘Shop & Stop’, get some vegetables, etc., to start my cooking!! Through some guided directions, from my wife and my brother’s wife, I could able to make all sorts of Indian dishes (Rava Upma, Atukula Upma, Borugula Upma, Mirchi Bajji, Aloo Bajji, Arati Bajji, Dosa, Utappam, Smoodles, Pav-Bhaaji, Chapati, Poori, Bisibella Bath, Pulav, Vangi Bath, Sambar, Pappu, Cabbage/Cauliflower/Tomato/Aloo Curry, etc., etc., etc.) during my stay, to my satisfaction. Some of them I tried FIRST time. I could make puffy POORIs but even after several trials I couldn't make circular CHAPATIs. I enjoyed cooking and eating too.
One day I did a funky job in cooking. I purchased ‘Golden layer Honey Butter flaky Biscuits’. The pack was cylindrical and I thought there will be circular flaky honey biscuits inside. After coming back to home and opened the pack as per directions, BOOOP, it opened with big sound and layers of soft dough came out. For a moment I shocked and I realized that I made a mistake. I understood why the people stop every where in the stores and spend lot of time in reading the instructions on the packets. Carefully I took out all of them separated them on a plate and started reading the instructions on the pack. I found it was a big lengthy process to get Golden layer honey butter flaky biscuits. Then I started learning how to operate baking oven, baked the biscuits and enjoyed the brown, solid, no butter, no honey, no shape, tough biscuits. It was FUN at the end.

No comments: